berea college appalachian photo archives
1. The night is quite advancing
2. It may be wintry outside tonight, but inside
3. I'll cross the briny ocean, I'll cross the deep blue sea
4. I'll have to go off and be gone tonight
5. As i lay on the prairie, and looked at the stars
6. The famous goldfish bowl (which is really just a huge jar)
7. "That's drunkard's dream, nearly everybody knows it" [mp3]
8. instrumental with fiddle and harmonium
9. While pacing a garden, I paused for to hear (I listened a moment, then turned me to see)
10. "I was interested in the story you just told me about the funeral" [mp3]
11. In London city I used to dwell
12. Speaking to the American farmer
13. "Thank you, Vern Henson"
14. I am on the gospel highway (my heart has brought me home)
15. The soldier pulled off his uniform of blue
16. Soon we'll reach the starry sky [mp3]
17. "We'll look for you if we come back"
made with generous support and encouragement from the berea college special collections, these pieces are comprised of recordings, interviews, and in-between sounds of the berea Appalachian sound archives combined with live instruments.
three connected streams are present: Songs made from interviews and singing, brief interlude pieces (from radio broadcasts, field recordings, etc), and story pieces where extended interviews/radio broadcasts are in the forefront. the pieces point toward both the season of winter and to more ambiguous ideas: the winter of politics, war, emotion, history, and finally to its ultimate hope of renewal. (total time: 48:11)
samples were used from the berea college appalachian sound archives.
american winter is available on atavistic records.